Hawaii became an annexation to the US due to its strategic importance in the Pacific. Its location became the reason behind the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 which forced the US into WW II. Because of the historic significance of these events, in 1964 Pearl Harbor was declared a national historic landmark.
The legislation calling for the creation of USS Arizona Memorial to honor the memory of the military personnel that perished under the Japanase attack on Pearl Harbor, was approved by President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1958. In 1962, the Pacific War Memorial Commission inaugurated the USS Arizona Memorial after completing the construction of this monument that sits hovering over the sunken battleship.
Until 1980 the US Navy handled the management of the memorial, then the responsibility was assigned to the National Park Service. That same year, both, the US Navy and the National Park Service, led the construction and opened the USS Arizona Memorial Visitor Center.
Under the Bush administration, an Executive Order was passed on December 5, 2008, expanding the mission of the National Park Service to manage and oversee the entire World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument and the following sites at Pearl Harbor: the USS Arizona Memorial and Visitor Center (now referred to as the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center); the USS Utah and USS Oklahoma memorials, six Chief Petty Officer bungalows on Ford Island; and mooring quays F6 North and South, F7 North and South, and F8 North and South (part of Battleship Row).